Attractions & Activities nearby to Glenlohane
There are numerous activities available in Co Cork to suit almost all ages and interests. From the very energetic to the slightly slower pace we are sure you will find everything you want within 1.5 hours drive, or 50 - 60 miles, in any direction. Some of the more popular centres for activities include:
- Ring of Kerry
|Road over the Healy Pass||Glengarriff Harbour|
SightSeeing in Co Cork, Ireland
Garnish Island Garden
Glenlohane Country House is ideally situated for sightseeing in the scenic southwest of Ireland with the many attractions of Co Cork, Co Kerry and Co Limerick within easy driving distance – indeed, within any given direction, most of the well-known sights of the region are within 1.5 hours drive.
- Rock of Cashel, Cashel, Co Tipperary
- Swiss Cottage & Cahir Castle, Cahir, Co Tipperary
- Mitchelstown Caves, Mitchelstown, Co Cork
- Adare, Co Limerick
- Heritage Centre, Tralee, Co Kerry
- Dingle Peninsula & Connor Pass, Co Kerry
- Ring of Kerry
- Lakes of Killarney, Killarney National Park, Muckross House
- Ross Castle, Killarney, Co Kerry
- Kenmare, Co Kerry
- Healy Pass, Beara Peninsula, Co Cork
- Garnish Island, Glengarriff, Co Cork
- Bantry House, Bantry, Co Cork
- Charles Fort, Kinsale, Co Cork
- Jameson Distillery, Midleton, Co. Cork
- Blarney Castle & Blarney Woollen Mills, Blarney, Co Cork
- Cobh Heritage Centre, Cobh, Co Cork
- Lismore Heritage Town, Lismore, Co Waterford.
Golf Courses & Golfing Cork
Most golfers come to Ireland wishing to play the internationally known championship courses. However, you may find that your most convenient date and time have been booked two years in advance. In that instance, you will find that there are many other pretty country courses that you will find challenging.
Including Killarney and Ballybunion, we have 17 eighteen hole courses within 1 – 11⁄2 hour’s drive. We find that our guests very quickly become spoiled at being able to virtually walk on to any of our country courses at any time they wish and there may not even be anyone there to collect money. One is on the honour system to put your green fees of €25 - €35 in "the box". Many country courses do not have carts for rent but clubs and carts may be rented from Mallow Golf Club and Mr. Conway is the Pro at 022-21145.
We have three eighteen hole and one nine hole course within 20 minutes of Glenlohane!
- Kanturk Golf Club – par 72 – 029 50534 www.kanturkgolf.com
- Mallow Golf Club----022-21445 (good for rentals) www.mallowgolfclub.net
- Charleville Golf Club---063 81257 www.charlevillegolf.com
- Doneraile Golf Club—9 hole—022 24137 www.donerailegolfclub.com
- Tralee Golf Club www.traleegolfclub.com
- Ballybunion Golf Club www.ballybuniongolfclub.ie
- Mahony's Point Golf Club www.killarney-golf.com/mahonys.cfm
- Old Head Golf Club www.oldhead.com
Golf Driving Range
- Mallow Golf Range, Copstown, Mallow – 022 27894
Fishing in Co Cork, Ireland
Fishing on the Blackwater
For guests that are staying for a while, we can offer either Coarse or Sport fishing. It is best to plan in advance. We are within 2 – 3 miles of the River Blackwater for Salmon and Trout and we use beats either here or further downstream, depending upon the rhythm of the river and how fish are moving.
We can also provide lake fishing nearby and in Killarney, where one can combine fishing and sightseeing.
- The season is February to September.
- Licenses are available locally.
- We can make arrangements for ghillies.
- Tackle and lures are available.
- It is generally best that you bring your own waders.
- Tuition can be arranged.
There is good lake fishing nearby at Ballyhass Lakes and you can find out further information at www.ballyhasslakes.ie.
Walking Holidays in Co Cork, Ireland
Our neighbours are particularly friendly and receptive to Glenlohane guests; therefore, one can feel free to walk over approximately 1,000 acres surrounding us. For more structured walking:
- Island Wood, Newmarket, Co Cork
- Doneraile Forest Park, Doneraile, Co Cork
- Millstreet Country Park, Millstreet, Co Cork
- The Ballyhoura Hills – enter near Ballyhea, Co Cork
Hunting with The Duhallow Hunt
Boreen, typical Irish hunter
The formal season is November through February with major hunts hunting three days per week and some Harrier packs hunting on Sundays. Meets are generally around 11.00 am. We are in the centre of Duhallow Hunt country and we go out on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. We are bordered by The Limerick, Scarteen and Stonehall Harriers to the north and by the United and Muskerry to the south and west.
Country House Accommodation: Country Sports Ireland: Glenlohane Country House is the ideal base for enjoying many country sporting pursuits including hunting with the Duhallow Hunt in Co Cork, Ireland
Our hunt country, and that of our neighbouring packs, is generally fairly heavy going over large banks with the possibility of water on one or both sides. While there are some fly jumps, these banks are generally taken from a standstill. We hunt with 18-20 couple and our hunt country is about 400 square miles.
As hunting is becoming ever more popular, hunts are under pressure to keep their fields down to manageable numbers and advance arrangements are absolutely necessary for the major, recognized packs. Livery and cap vary but may generally be €150 each. It is absolutely necessary to contact the Secretary of the pack/s with which you wish to hunt long before your trip.
Horse Racing in Cork, Ireland
In Ireland, we race horses all year with most formal racing taking
place from May through October and the courses convenient to Glenlohane
Born to Run
- Cork at Mallow, Co Cork – 20 mins
- Listowel, Co Kerry – 1 hour
- Tralee, Co Kerry – 1 hour
- Killarney, Co Kerry – 1 hour
- Limerick Junction at Tipperary – 1 hr, 15 mins
Major country towns have agricultural fairs all during the summer. Apart from cattle, sheep, hens, dogs, vegetables, baking etc, there are usually large horse sections. There are also more formal, and specifically, horse shows:
- Cork Horse Show, Cork City - June
- Limerick Horse Show, Limerick City
- Dublin Horse Show, Dublin - August
- Green Glens Horse Show, Millstreet, Co. Cork - August
- Country Lifestyle, Mallow 022-20121
- Sue Perrott Saddlery, Mallow 022-57766
- O’Brien Saddlery, Bandon 023-43237
Point to Points in Ireland
The season for point-to-point racing is generally January through May when there are about ninety days of racing throughout the country. Most racing takes place on Sunday and, during those months, there would usually be at least one convenient to Glenlohane. Point-to-point courses are over natural country with fifteen brush fences and covering 3.2 miles. Our local point-to-points are held at Dromahane near Mallow and at Liscarroll.
As a matter of interest, the first steeplechase took place nearby, 250 years ago when two members of the Duhallow Hunt raced their horses across country from the steeple in Doneraile to the steeple in Buttevant - hence a race over fences is now called a 'Steeplechase'.
Restaurants in Co Cork, Ireland
For dinners, there are two good restaurants only five minutes away in Kanturk and we would be pleased to make reservations on your behalf. In Mallow, twenty minutes away, there is a larger assortment and variety.
- The Riverside, Kanturk (029-51923)
- The Vintage, Kanturk (029 50549)
- Longueville House, Mallow (022 47156)
- O'Callaghans, Mallow (022 20922)
Zip in the Garden
Things to do in Cork, Ireland - Glenlohane is the ideal Country Manor bed and breakfast for anyone wishing to visit Gardens in Cork, do some Birdwatching, shop for Antiques or find out about their family's genealogy - we are in the heart of Co Cork, Ireland.
Glenlohane has a formal sitting garden filled with a riot of colour which has been laid out within the walls of the old kitchen garden. It is well protected from the wind and offers guests a tranquil place to sit and read and take tea on a sunny afternoon.
Offering a Hornbeam walk up the centre, the garden contains espaliered apple trees, a variety of fruit trees and boxwood lined flower beds.
There are also many gardens of note to visit within an easy drive:
- Annes Grove, Castletownroche, Co Cork
- Bantry House, Bantry, Co Cork
- Creagh Gardens, Skibbereen, Co Cork
- Castle Gardens, Timoleague, Co Cork
- Fota, Cobh, Co Cork
- Ilnacullin, Glengarriff, Co Cork
- Glin Castle, Glin, Co Limerick
- Dereen Gardens, Lauragh, Nr Kenmare, Co Kerry
- Doneraile Forest Park, Doneraile, Co Cork
- Lismore Castle, Lismore, Co Waterford
- Muckross House Gardens, Killarney, Co Kerry
- MacMahon’s, Nr Millstreet, Co Cork
- Mona’s, Oliver Plunkett Street, Cork
- Lynes & Lynes, MacCurtain Street, Cork
- Marshs Fine Arts, South Mall, Cork
- Stokes Clocks & Watches, MacCurtain St. Cork
- Stacpoole, Adare, Co Limerick
- Fortlands Antiques, Charleville, Co. Cork
While there is ample space to walk and bird watch around Glenlohane, for more formal birdwatching:
- Kilcolman Wildfowl Refuge, Buttevant, Co Cork (022 24200) - there are approximately 160 acres under water. Migration and activity is during the winter. Advanced arrangements are absolutely necessary.
- Millstreet Country Park, a 500 acre environmental and wildlife refuge.
- Natural Heritage of the Blackwater Valley for other nature web sites.
Jimmy Cronin on the banjo
As anywhere else, we enjoy a variety of different music and for traditional Irish music it is:
- Scully’s, Newmarket
- The Clockhouse Tavern, Mallow
- The Boreen Twist, Cecilstown
- Genealogical Office, Kildare Street, Dublin (01 6618811)
- Genealogy Bookshop, 3 Nassau Street, Dublin (01 6795313)
- Mallow Heritage Centre, 28 Bank Place, Mallow, Co Cork (022 50302)
- Hibernian Research Co Ltd, PO Box 3097, Dublin (01 4966522)
- www.merrimantraining.com, contact: email@example.com
- Kanturk Market open on Thursday & Saturday.
- For further information: www.bordbia.ie