Located among the rolling hills of the upper Blackwater Valley of north-west Cork, Glenlohane is ideally positioned for all activities and sightseeing in the scenic southwest. Virtually all the major attractions lie within 1.5 hour’s drive, or 50 – 60 miles, in any direction. They include:
Cork, Bantry, Ring of Kerry, Adare, Blarney, Glengariff, Tralee, Cashel, Kinsale, Kenmare, Ballybunion, Cahir, Cobh, Killarney, Limerick, Lismore.
Gaelic Helicopters Ltd, are 6 minutes flight time away and can land at Glenlohane. The telephone number is 022-22040.
Depending upon the configuration of your GPS, you may be able to plot in by giving Cork or County Cork, Kanturk and then Glenlohane as we are a designated townland in official Ordnance Survey maps, but you can be led off the main approach on to country side roads.
We suggest that you print this page and bring it with you. It will enable you to find Glenlohane more easily.
Directions to Glenlohane
- R576 towards Mallow.
- Bear left on R580 towards Buttevant.
- First right towards Ballyclough.
- First residential entrance on left after 1.3 miles.
- Watch for green and white “Glenlohane Bird Sanctuary” signs in trees.
- In the interests of privacy, there are no public signs.
From Cork Airport
- Proceed to Cork
- Follow signs for Cork/Limerick on the N20 and drive 20 miles north to Mallow traffic circle.
- Turn left on the N72 west towards Killarney.
- After 8.3 miles, bear right to Kanturk, (you will have passed a huge green sign on the left showing the turnoff to Kanturk 1 mile after the sign).
- Then, after a mile, turn right at first crossroads signed to Castlemagner.
- In a mile, go straight through the village, which has all new houses on your left and a pub called Geoff’s on your right, to a “T” junction and turn left.
- Proceed 1.4 miles through first small crossroads (there is a stone monument and a car pull in area).
- Glenlohane entrance is at the top of the hill on the right.
From Shannon Airport
- Proceed towards Limerick and follow signs through several traffic circles for Cork/Killarney on the N20.
- There is a lot of new road construction and the N20 to Cork only will eventually be off to the left.
- Proceed to Buttevant and turn right for Kanturk. (Do not take the right for Kanturk in Charleville).
- Go 6.7 miles to the end and turn left at 'T' Junction.
- Then 1⁄2 mile to the first right (there is a sign for Kanturk).
- Proceed 4 miles to the first full crossroads (there is a stone marker which says 'Sally's Cross') and turn left for Ballyclough.
- After 1.3 miles, Glenlohane is the first residential entrance on the left.
- Take the N7 towards Cork/Limerick.
- Bear left in Portlaoise on to the N8 for Cork.
- On the new section of motorway bypassing Mitchelstown, bear off at the exit for the N73 into Mallow and follow signs for the N72 towards Killarney.
- Then follow the Cork Airport directions from the Mallow Traffic Circle to Glenlohane.